Wednesday, September 28, 2011

[make] ten minute tutu

In my household, tutus are a priority.  And when you need a tutu, you need it quick.  You also need two of them.  Enter the Ten Minute Tutu.

Materials:

elastic (measured to fit your little one's waist)
two safety pins
tulle and lots of it (6 yards is a good start for a size 6)
scissors

First make your elastic into a loop and double pin your ends together, crossing your pins for extra stability.  Little girls don't like to get stuck with pins while twirling.  Trust me. 

Now the tulle.  In 10 minutes you don't have time to cut a 1000 little strips of tulle, so this was my technique. Grab the tulle and bunch it together (like you are forming a tulle tube), gather it together and cut it approximately every half yard.  I ended up with 12 pieces tulle from 6 yards the full width of my bolt still folded in half.  


Then take those rectangles and gather them in the center.  This will in effect give you the bolt width of the tulle instead of your half yard.   

Here comes the hard part, tie them in a knot onto your elastic.  Yep, that's it.  Just tie a single knot in each piece of tulle equidistant around your elastic.  

DONE!  (Unless you have multiple little girls and then REPEAT.)

Now, I state this disclaimer on what you've just read:  this is not a permanent sort of deal.  This is a tutu that can be assembled and disassembled quickly and will work for a little one to run about in and play.  It's not designed to withstand a Halloween marathon, a dance recital, or be handed down as a family heirloom. I will say, it did withstand my ruffians playing in it an entire day outside and Week 2 of TwinBop!


Let me know if you try it and what you think! 


No comments: